Friday, May 4, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Red Enchilada Sauce


I don't know about you, but when I want to make a Mexican dish, I'm always a little intimidated. I'm not talking strictly tacos because, actually, I hate making tacos. Something about the number of dishes you have to put out (and then clean up) always put me off. Heartier dishes I'm happy to make though. 

I normally grab a can or two of red enchilada sauce or green enchilada sauce, but then I decided to try it after looking over the recipe. Why not? You know, other than the general fear that you spend hours making a sauce and then suddenly it's all gone and you have nothing left to show for your labor?

Well, let me assure you, that is not the case with this! I made red sauce and green sauce (to be posted soon!) in under an hour (you could probably make it in half an hour if you're really dedicated) and there was plenty leftover. So much so that I was afraid it was going to go bad, though luckily it's incredibly versatile.

So really, you have no reason not to!

Ingredients
2 cloves of garlic
2 tsp minced onion (since I was making green sauce at the same time, I just threw 2 tsps from that onion in here)
1/2 tsp dried oregano
2 tsps cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried parsley
1/4 cup bruschetta (if you have some handy)
3 tomatoes
1.5 cups water
olive oil

Preparation
Red sauce doesn't like being photographed. Just so you know.
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.

Add the onion and garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.

Add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the water. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes.

Add water.

Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 15-25 minutes. The longer you let it simmer, the more the flavors blend together.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment