Friday, May 4, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Verde Sauce



So remember when I said I was going to make red and green enchilada sauces? I was so excited when I found a recipe, but I almost stopped the plan when I saw an ingredient for the green enchilada sauce. (Don't worry, the red enchilada sauce is easier.)

Tomatillos.
What are those things? Where can you get them? They sound more than just foreign and new, they sound intimidating. And I was right, they are semi-difficult to find. My big box grocery store, where I only go to pick up my cheese and yogurt didn't have them, but luckily the fruit and vegetable market across the street did. They should be next to the jalapeno peppers. And even better news: they're pretty cheap!

So with that out of the way, I pushed on, and let me tell you, it is so definitely worth it. This may look like a lot of ingredients, but it makes a lot of sauce, and it's delicious. And I, for one, was so pleased with myself for figuring out the sauce I could previously only get in restaurants.

Ingredients
1 large onion, minced
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
2 green peppers, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, chopped
6 tomatillos, husked and quartered
1 bunch cilantro
1.5 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1.5 tsp cumin
4 cups water
olive oil

Preparation
Heat olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat.

Saute onions and garlic until lightly browned, about 3-6 minutes.

While onions and garlic are sauteing, combine tomatillos, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, and cilantro in a blender. Process until smooth.

Add tomatillo mixture to onions and garlic. Add water, salt, pepper, and cumin.

Bring to a boil, then cover and turn heat down. Simmer for 15-45 minutes. The longer you let it simmer, the more the flavors mix together.

Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment