Saturday, May 5, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Chicken Enchilada Pasta


Okay. Remember when I made the red enchilada sauce and the green enchilada sauce

This is it. This is what you've been waiting for. Because I am not kidding when I tell you that this is the most amazing pasta I've ever created. And I've made a lot of pasta.

This post was garnering some attention on Pinterest as one of the best recipes to try. I tend to take recommendations over there lightly since many people tend to eat a lot of processed foods, but I pinned it and made a mental note to try it out.

And I am not sorry I did! You won't be sorry either, unless, for some reason, you hate food and/or flavors exploding in your mouth.

EDIT: I've made this many times, and I have a few notes. The first is that if you want to be healthier and use quinoa instead of pasta, it tastes just as delicious.

The second thing is that, obviously, when you make your sauces (links below) it tastes ridiculously better. I was feeling lazy last week, and I bought sauce at the store. Words cannot express to you how disappointed I was. Though obviously, if you're crunched for time, store sauce it must be! And it's still pretty good. :-)

Ingredients
3-5 chicken breasts, filleted and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1-2 green jalapeno peppers, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp cumin
2 cups shredded cheese (I used cheddar and Monterrey jack)
1 cup yogurt (or sour cream)
penne pasta
olive oil
1 avocado
green onions

Preparation
Fillet, chop, and cook chicken. Drain.

Boil water and cook pasta. Drain.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook onion for 3-5 minutes, or until lightly brown.

Add garlic and red pepper and cook for 3-5 minutes.

Add cooked chicken, green peppers, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and enchilada sauces. Let sauce simmer for 10 minutes.

Add cheese and mix until cheese is melted.

Add yogurt and stir, but make sure heat is low enough that it will not boil.

Pour the sauce over pasta and mix well. 

Garnish with avocado and green onions. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment