Friday, June 8, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Green Grilled Cheese


After I made my Grown-Up grilled cheese, I haven't been able to eat a normal grilled cheese again. The funny part is that when I was a child, even up until college (or, okay, last month), I couldn't understand why people would eat a grilled cheese with anything but cheese. Tomatoes? No thanks. Grilled onions? Not really for me.

Well, no longer. I saw a picture of a grilled cheese this morning, and I seriously wondered why anyone would eat that much bread. It was hardly a sandwich at all! And that's when the irony of the situation struck me.

Anyway, this has to be my new favorite sandwich, mostly because it's so delicious and I feel like I just ate something amazingly healthy. I found this recipe here, and since I didn't have a lot of the greens on hand, I just substituted with my own. It's not that complicated, despite my initial fears, and I've made it a couple time since as a last minute dinner. It's so tasty!

Ingredients
2 slices of bread
2-3 tablespoons of pesto, recipe below*
thinly sliced Monterrey Jack cheese
handful of spinach
1/2 avocado
2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
olive oil

Preparation
Add olive oil to and heat your skillet on a medium-low flame.

Add pesto to each slice of bread.
On one slice, add Monterrey Jack cheese and goat cheese.

On the other slice, add spinach and avocado.

Carefully put one slice on top of the other. Cook in pan until golden brown on each side.

Enjoy!


*Pesto Sauce
If you have store pesto, feel free to use it, but of course, anything you quickly make yourself tastes amazing. If you don't have some of these ingredients, feel free to substitute something.

Ingredients
1 clove of garlic
1 teaspoon lemon juice
handful fresh parsley
handful fresh basil
handful chopped kale
handful spring onions
salt and pepper

Preparation
Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment