Sunday, April 1, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: White Bean Cake with Blood Oranges

I've really been into dessert lately. Like, a lot. My boyfriend doesn't really like sweets and he especially doesn't like chocolate, so I've been a little stuck on what to do lately. I experimented with making cakes in a cup and microwaving it, which, somehow, is all the rage of Pinterest, but trust me when I say it's not good. At all. None of the recipes I tried. They're all only to be used if you're desperate. Luckily, I found this recipe over at Tao of Dana, and we both loved it! Also, for those that are interested, it's grain and gluten free.


I LOVE blood oranges, so I was excited to make this. It's a little unconventional for me since I would never think to use beans as a base in a cake, but isn't that what makes cooking fun? 

Ingredients
8-10 blood oranges (optional, to be served with the cake)
3 cups white beans, cooked, unseasoned, and cooled (or rinsed, if using canned beans)
9 tablespoons of coconut oil
1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons of honey
6 eggs
2 tablespoons of vanilla
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda

Preparation
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put everything EXCEPT the oranges into a blender. Once blended, add grated blood orange peel to mix and stir.

Pour mixture into cake pan and bake for about one and a half hours, or until the middle is not longer jiggly. This is important to note because it browns rather quickly, and I thought for sure it was going to burn. Not so.

Serve each slice with a blood orange. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment