Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Avocado Cream Sauce and Bacon (And Pasta)

When I was younger, my favorite kind of pasta was fettucine alfredo. Is it good for you? No. Healthy in any way? Of course not.  Of course, this was before I kicked all processed foods out of my life and started eating healthy. Since then I went from eating canned tomato sauce to making my own sauces. 

But then a glorious thing happened. I found this blog post that made something similar to a cream sauce, but it used avocados. Avocados! Perfect. This still has some cream in it, but for a dish to eat every once in a while, it's perfect. I'll even go so far as to say it's my new comfort food. Let me know what you think!

Ingredients
Pasta noodles, cooked
2 avocados
5 tablespoons of light cream
1 teaspoon of salt
2-3 tablespoons of lime juice
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
3 pieces of bacon
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
Handful of Monterrey Jack cheese

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and lay the strips of bacon on a baking sheet. Cook for 20 minutes.

While the bacon is cooking, begin to cook the pasta noodles.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a sauce pan.

Chop the onion and garlic and add to the pan. Saute until golden brown.

Put the avocados, light, salt, lime juice, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and cream in a blender. Once cooked, add the onion and garlic and ONE strip of bacon. Blend well. If you desire thinner sauce, add more cream.
Looks gross, but it's amazingly delicious.

Once the pasta is done cooking, drain and return to pan. Add the avocado mixture and cook on low heat for a few minutes. (The heat makes the avocado extra creamy!)


When ready, crumble the additional 2 pieces of bacon and cheese over each bowl. Enjoy!

Yummmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment