Sunday, March 11, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Grown-Up Grilled Cheese with Pepper Jack, Avocado, and Bacon

I like grilled cheeses. A lot. Who doesn't? But lately I've been getting bored with just the standard cheddar cheese, and I've been mixing it up a lot, using a mixture of muenster, pepper jack, and cheddar. 

You know what else I like? Avocados. I found this brilliant idea on Pinterest, incorporating avocados into grilled cheeses - with pepperoni, no less(which I totally switched out with bacon, yum)! I knew I had to do it one night when I was too lazy to cook something and there were no healthier, leftover alternatives in the fridge. Luckily for me, that evening was last night!

Honestly, the worst part of the whole experience was waiting for the sandwich to finish cooking! It looked and smelled amazing, which was just torture!


Ingredients
2 slices of bacon
1.5 avocados, sliced
pepper jack cheese
2 slices of whole wheat bread
butter or oil
salt and pepper

Preparation
Cook the bacon. I like to bake mine, so: Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up. Lay out the 2 strips of bacon. Cook for approximately 20 minutes. 

While the bacon is cooking, prepare the sandwich. Cut off thin slices of  cheese for the bottom layer.

Add avocado. Salt and pepper to taste.




Once done, add bacon.


Add butter or oil to a skillet. Add the sandwich carefully. Cook over low heat to let the cheese properly melt.
 

Enjoy!

1 comment: