Saturday, February 2, 2013

Recipe of the Moment: Winter Soup with Orange and Ginger


I somehow was lucky enough to receive Martha Stewart Living magazine for free for a year. I originally ordered it because I thought it might have a few ideas, but I'm shocked to report that each issue is full of great craft ideas, but more importantly, tasty recipes.

Or at least, recipes that look tasty because even though I've been subscribed for months, I've only ever bookmarked recipes and projects, but I decided this month I was going to start making my way through everything. After all, what's the point of the subscription if I never use it?

So first up is Martha's Root Vegetables soup, which I've modified a bit to reflect things I have on hand, as well as things I could actually find in stores. For example, there was no rutabaga in my local market, which is a shame because I absolutely love rutabaga. Maybe next time!

Ingredients
1 vidalia/sweet onion
2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 celery root, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small butternut squash, peeled and chopped
2 red potaoes, chopped
1 tsp ground thyme
6 cups of water
1-2 oranges 
freshly grated ginger
salt
pepper
olive oil

Preparation
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 4-7 minutes.


Add parnsips, celery root, carrot, butternut squash, potatoes, thyme, water, and salt and pepper to taste.


Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender, 20-40 minutes.

Puree soup in a blender until smooth.

Separate each orange wedge from the other.

In each bowl: Squeeze one orange wedge's juice into the soup and stir. Use additional wedge, ginger, and salt and pepper as garnish. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment