Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Recipe of the Moment: Quinoa and Cabbage Saute

Not the best picture, but I couldn't figure out how to make this look appetizing... even though it really is!
Continuing on making my way through Martha Stewart Living is this recipe! I have no idea what to call it. Martha calls it Toasted Quinoa Saute with Lemony Cabbage and Dill. She recommends serving it with yogurt, which really confuses me. My boyfriend calls it pasta salad, even though it really isn't, and thinks it would go great with a hamburger. I've settled on the name Quinoa and Cabbage Saute, even though I think that could still use some improvements.

Regardless of the confusion over what to make of this creation, I made some modifications, and it tastes amazing. I serve it warm; you can eat it cold, which my boyfriend does, but I prefer it heated.

Ingredients
1.5 cups of water
1/2 cup quinoa
1 head Savoy cabbage
2 tomatoes
1 cup feta cheese
1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup small green olives, pitted
1 lemon, juiced
 salt
pepper
olive oil

Preparation
Bring water to a boil in a medium pot. Stir in quinoa and return to boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.

Uncover, turn heat to high and cook until water evaporates fully, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.


Heat oil in a large skillet. Chop cabbage into small pieces.


Add half head of cabbage to the skillet and saute until tender and golden, about 8-10 minutes.


When one batch is finished, transfer to a bowl and continue with another batch of the cabbage.


Finally, add all cabbage and quinoa to the skillet and cook on high heat until the quinoa is toasted, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and add to bowl.


In the bowl with the cabbage and quinoa, also add chickpeas, olives, tomatoes, cheese, and lemon juice and toss to combine. Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment