Thursday, October 4, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Two Bean Chili


It's starting to get cool here in New York, which means it's time for soup! Does chili count as soup? I think so.

I saw an amazing photo spread in Martha Stewart Living with chili, and I've been craving it ever since. Though since Martha's recipe was meat based, I found this great recipe on epicurious. I've actually made it before, and I thought it was on here, but apparently not. And it's a good thing too because I changed a bit this time, and I think it tastes even better than the original!

This is vegetarian, but if you wanted to add ground meat to it, go for it.

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped
3 carrots, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, chopped
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
3 cups of water*
2 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup flax meal*
2 tbsp sherry cooking wine
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
5 garlic cloves, diced
3 tsps cumin
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp red pepper flakes
olive oil

*If you don't have flax meal, you can substitute with bulgur. If you don't have that, you can also substitute with quinoa, but reduce the water if you do.

Preparation
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.

Add onions, carrots, and peppers and saute until onion and carrots are almost tender, about 8-10 minutes.

Add the tomato, water, beans, flax meal, cooking wine, vinegar, garlic, and spices.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.

Let cook, stirring often, for about 20-30 minutes.


Ladle into bowls and serve. (I love crumbling up cornbread instead of crackers in mine.) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment