Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Middle Eastern-America Pizza


One night last week I was making falafel. I was going to make a falafel sandwich, but I didn't have pits bread. Actually, we didn't have any bread in the house, and I didn't want to make any, mostly because I didn't want to wait for the yeast to rise. So I found a quick online recipe for roti bread, and suddenly I knew what I was going to make: Middle Eastern pizza.

Now, very little of this is actually Middle Eastern. Perhaps I should say Middle Eastern-American pizza?

Regardless, it's very tasty and my boyfriend and I happily ate it for the next several nights.

You'll have to forgive me for the imprecise measurements. I had no idea if what I was doing would turn out all right. Just taste as you go, and everything should turn out great. 

Ingredients
tomato
cucumber
*roti flatbread (flour, water)
**sauce (yogurt, basil, thyme, paprika, cayenne pepper, honey)

Preparation
My secret amazing sauce!
*To make roti bread: combine about 1/2 cup flour with 1/4 cup of water. It's best to use whole wheat or spelt flour if you have it. If not, all purpose works. Add a pinch of salt. Stir and let sit for about 30 minutes. If it's too watery, add more flour. Too thick, add more water. Roll the bread out, and pan fry for about a minute or two on each side.

**To make sauce: combine about 1/4 plain yogurt with about 2 tablespoons basil, thyme, and paprika. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Add a drizzle of honey.

Take the flatbread and smear the sauce onto it. 

Cut up the tomatoes, cucumbers, and falafel, and add on top. Salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment