Monday, April 30, 2012

Recipe of the Moment: Cheesy Pancakes - A Mix of Salty and Sweet

So I've talked about my every day breakfast and how I try to get all my vegetables into one, but now let me tell about when I indulge. I'm afraid it's not going to be nearly as scandalous as you might think, but it's certainly delicious.

So good, I had to have a bite before I remembered to photograph.
About one day a week, usually on the weekend, I decide I don't want to make a smoothie, but I'd rather have pancakes. I actually stopped eating pancakes (and waffles) awhile ago because I couldn't stand all the syrup smothered on them. I slowly introduced them back into my diet when my dad gave me super simple recipe, and then one day a few months ago, I knew exactly how to make them brilliant. And brilliant they are! I could easily eat them all the time. Plus, this way it has no syrup, with lots of high fructose corn syrup, among other things, either!

Ingredients
1 cup flour
1 cup milk (or water)
1 egg
shredded monteray jack cheese
shredded cheddar cheese
salt
honey

Preparation
Combine flour, milk, and egg in a bowl. Mix until smooth.

Pour small spoonfuls (about 2-3 tbsp each) into a pan over medium heat.

Cook until lightly brown on one side, then flip.

When browned on both sides, remove from skillet and place on plate.


Stack pancakes when finished on plate. Between each layer, add shredded cheese. (I usually end up with about 2 layers of pancakes, so after the first layer, I add monteray jack cheese, another layer of pancakes, then cheddar cheese.)

Sprinkle salt on top. Seriously. The salt makes this. Add black or cayenne pepper if you so choose.

Add just a little bit of honey, maybe a teaspoon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment