Monday, May 24, 2010

Recipe of the Moment: Mashed Rutabaga with Toasted Pears

Do you know what a rutabaga is? I didn't. But they were in a bin at the farmer's market, and I figured, "Why not?" I did a quick survey, and only 2 people knew what rutabagas were, and they both said I should mash it. Not content to have it be a simple mashed potato type of dish, I wanted to do something a bit extra, so I found this great recipe.
Ingredients
4 pounds of rutabaga, peeled, cut into 1 inch cubes
1.5 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1.5 teaspoons of sugar
3 firm pears, peeled, cored, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
5 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Preparation
 Cook rutabagas in boiling water until tender, about 35 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine oil, lemon juice, sugar, pepper flakes, and nutmeg. Add pears and toss to coat. Spread pears on baking tray, roast until tender, about 30 minutes. Turn pears after 15 minutes.

Drain any water remaining with rutabagas. Mash to coarse puree. Stir over medium heat until any excess liquid has evaporated. Add cream, butter, and oregano. Mix in pears and any liquid from baking sheet.

Note: I only had 1 rutbaga and 1 pear, so your finished product might look slightly different than mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment