Monday, May 10, 2010

Recipe of the Moment: Best Brownies... Ever?

So this is something that I've tried to avoid. I think I may have mentioned before about my tendency to stuff my face with chocolate. After originally cutting out all desserts, I did a really good job of sticking to fruits. If I'm getting something made from chocolate, I try to get it at a restaurant or bakery because it's much easier to control portions and I don't have to worry about leftovers, but sometimes there isn't a bakery open within walking distance. I was craving brownies, so I decided to make them from scratch.

Ingredients
10 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cold large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 325.

Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium heatproof bowl and set the bowl in a wide skillet of barely simmering water. Stir from time to time until the butter is melted and the mixture is hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. Remove the bowl from the skillet and set aside briefly until the mixture is warm, not hot.

Stir in the vanilla. Add the eggs, stirring well after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well-blended, add the flour and stir until you can no longer see the flour. Spread evenly in the pan.

Bake about 20-25 minutes.

Notes:
I lined the pan with tin foil. Less mess and I don't have to worry about half of my brownies sticking to the bottom of the pan.

I'm normally not the biggest fan of super dark chocolate, but my grocery store only had one type of cocoa powder that had no artificial ingredients, and it was 100% cocoa. It was absolutely amazing in this recipe.

It is imperative to use a mixer of some kind. Mine wasn't working, so I used a blender. It took longer, especially because the batter was thick, but the brownies come out much more amazing after I used the blender than when I attempted to stir vigorously per the original recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment