Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Opting in to the French Paradox.

So after Michael Pollan told me everything I've ever eaten was wrong, I decided I needed to start over, adopt a French grandmother and learn to cook.

I researched quite a few French cookbooks before deciding on Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking.* Apparently the woman knows what she's talking about.



Amazon told me it would be several days before my cookbook arrived, and I wasn't sure what to do since I had no idea how to cook. Luckily, I remembered that my mother had given me a copy of Mireille Guiliano's French Women Don't Get Fat. I started reading it several years ago, but I stopped when I saw all the recipes. I figured it would be perfect!

In the introduction, Mireille Guiliano briefly discusses the French Paradox, and explains that she will share her secrets, and she unveils four phases (Wake-Up Call, Recasting, Stabilization, and the Rest of Your Life) designed to help us get our diets and lives under control.

I think I was most surprised that her book, while a bit unconventional, followed almost all of my new rules that I was eating by. I wasn't expecting much from the book, merely a few recipes, but I got a lot more information. I'll post some of the recipes I've tried, as well as some of her recommendations for living a healthier life.

*No, I didn't see the movie when I decided to order the book. I have since seen it, since that's all anyone ever asked, and while it was a little cute, I found it lacking. I continue to tell people I haven't seen the movie out of principle.



No comments:

Post a Comment