Thursday, July 8, 2010

Recipe of the Moment: Tri-Layer Omelet


I'm not a big egg person. Whenever I go to restaurants, they're the last things I'll order, and usually one of my last choices at home as well. I find that if I put something interesting and delicious in them, I don't mind them as much. Which is how I found myself making the 3 layer omelet one night. I found this recipe in The French Women Don't Get Fat Cookbook, and one of the best things is how easily it can be modified for whatever ingredients you currently have on hand.


Ingredients
butter
1 medium onion
9 eggs
2 tablespoons basil
2 tablespoons thyme
1 medium tomato, cut into small cubes
1 zucchini

Preparation




Melt 1 teaspoon butter in a small nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until softened. Remove the pan from heat and cool.







Repeat with the zucchini.












Chop tomato in small diced squares.







Put 3 eggs in 3 different bowls and whisk. In the first bowl, add the onion. In the second, add the tomato. In the third, add the zucchini, basil, and thyme.





Melt 1 tablespoon butter in the pan used for onions over medium-high heat. Add the mixture to the pan, tilting to evenly distribute it. When it is set, carefully flip the mixture over and cook for another minute. Slide onto a plate.








Repeat with the remaining tomato and egg mixture.










Repeat with zuchhini and spices.













Stack the 3 cooked omelets on top of one another.















Serve immediuately, cut into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment